Monday, 21 August 2017

Watford Homeless Project

Holiday season… everybody is away and in no rush to chat. I’ve encountered more than a few obstacles with both the blogging project and fundraising.

Upon reflection, disappointment at times is inevitable. Whilst I know some of our rough sleepers, and can vouch for their characters, I do understand that other businesses (especially in the town centre) are focused on the disruption that they can cause. Hence the negativity when I have been out and about talking to shopkeepers recently!

I felt very frustrated and low. This is the rock that has been placed in my path…but if I can’t go through it, then will I go over it or around it! I was chatting to Neal Emery about the exciting project that Jane Johnson is working on with the Real Junk Food charity, and had a brainwave! I won’t go into that now, as this will go off my point, which is, what do you do when you encounter problems?

My solution was to use the Link4Growth network – just a chat with Neil – and I felt lifted. I felt I could carry on, and if some people are difficult, well, that isn’t a reason to stop. In fact, it is very much the proof that I need to continue with this project and work hard to turn around the negative opinions that society has of those who are without a home.

What I learnt from this is that nobody can ‘make’ you feel anything. It is about the self-talk and the way in which you frame your thoughts and experiences. Here are a few alternative positive responses (gleaned anecdotally and from the net):

  • When life gives you lemons…make lemonade.
  • If you encounter a problem, shout ‘Plot Twist!’ and focus on the rest of your ‘story’!
  • Don’t look back – you’re not going that way.
  • The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.

Mine is the ‘rock’ metaphor, but there are countless inspirational ways of changing your thinking. I must admit I bore of those images on Facebook, but, internalising some of the positive messages can only lead to better things.

Just don’t send me any with white swirly writing, a sunset and a couple holding hands please!! 😊